|Factory||Drewry Car (on order by Vulcan Foundry Ltd)|
|Factory numbers||DC 2162 and for Vulcan Foundry: 1192|
|Original number||WD 34|
|1944 WD number||WD 70035|
|Overseas use?||Yes: Suez|
|Today ?||Yes, but as a collection of parts in the Netherlands|
There is some confusion about the renumbering of WD 34 and WD 35. The could have change identity in the past. It is sure it was used in the Suez-region during WW-II. It was used there at the "Middle East Forces" and was renumberd in MEF 40.
Afther returning to England in 1947, it was sold to Esso at Purfleet. They sold the loco to the "Quainton Railway Society" wich later changed it's name into "Buckinghamshire Railway Society" but still based at Quainton. The Society took the engine and some parts out of the locomotive to restore another one, and put the remains aside. The STIBANS-society from the Netherlands discovered the loco there (through the website) and afther a visit in October 2000, the locomotive was bought in 2001. The transport to Amsterdam took place on March 8/9 2001.
Lots of parts from the locomotive were removed to restore sister-loco WD 33 back to working order. Afther even taking off the upper part of the cabine and the chimney, it doesn't look much like a locomotive anymore. On December 9th 2003, the remainings were transported to Blerick
Look fore information (in Dutch) on restauratie WD 34 and for more pictures in the Netherlands on Foto's WD 34
Afther arrival in the Netherlands, it could roll... Some parts visible doesn't belong to the locomotive.....
The WD 34 is "flying" through the air, prior to the transport to Blerick ((c) picture: H. Altena)
The remains of the WD 34 in Blerick on 25 november 2005. Doesn't look like a loco anymore....